It’s time again for another Friday Five! This week I’ll focus on sharing my favorite podcasts. I should do a whole other post on strictly personal development podcasts that I love; however, I’ll just focus this one on my five main ones I always have on rotation. Some are informative, inspirational and some are strictly for entertainment.
I always get asked how I have time to listen to so many podcasts! Hah As a stay-at-home mom to a toddler and another on the way, I keep busy. But I always make time for my podcasts! I put them on in the morning getting ready, in the car, at the gym, walking my dogs, cooking dinner etc.
Sure, sometimes I might have to go back and listen to one again because my toddler interrupted and I tuned out but I always squeeze them in when I can. I’ll also admit that more than once I have dropped my child off at the gym daycare so I can half-ass do the elliptical and catch up on podcasts and Bravo reality show episodes – no shame in that game!
Friday Five – Podcast Edition!
- Terrible, Thanks for Asking – if you haven’t started listening to this pod yet WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE? My husband says it’s too depressing but I say it’s real life. Lots of things happen in life. Some of them are hard. This is the podcast that chronicles that. The episodes range from everything from death, sickness, mental illness, addiction, dating – it has it all. If you have ever had a loved one die, do yourself a favor and go listen to the episode from season 1 titled, “The Middle Place”. Like right now, go do it. Stop reading this and go listen to it now. Now. Every once in a while when I need a good cry I pop that episode on. Sure, it’s sad but it’s also inspiring and uplifting and also that’s life – people die. I am constantly checking my podcast feed to see when a new episode pops up. I’ve never missed an episode.
- Oprah Supersoul – I’m sure you’ve come across this tv show laying in bed on a Sunday. (If so, you must not have kids because they have no respect for the weekend. None. Lucky you.) Oprah interviews big names from the worlds of business, sports, religion, politics, celebrities, authors etc to get their takes on life’s biggest questions. The episodes are fairly short, around thirty minutes, which is perfect if you’re walking the dog or driving to work. Also in podcast form perfect for if your kids are still rude enough to get up at 6am on a Sunday. One of my favorite episodes I recall off the top of my head is “Timothy Shriver: Fully, Alive, Discovering What Matters Most”.
- The Moth – This is a storytelling podcast. Each week a topic is picked (love, suffering, adventure, women of the world, confidence etc) and different storytellers will get on a live stage and tell their story in front of an audience. The performers spend time in workshops perfecting their stories and delivery so the stories are always great to listen to. They are all true stories as well so it’s always neat to get a peak into adventures from another country or life. I would love to see one of these storytelling events live, they always sound like so much fun!
- Totally Mommy – I might be cheating a little bit here because this podcast is no longer in the works. The host has since shut it down due to directing her efforts into another podcast venture of hers. However, I will say when I was pregnant and a new mom I listened to every episode of this podcast multiple times. It covers all the emotions of motherhood and is an honest discussion of all the good, bad and funny parts of parenthood. The episodes are so good and center around everything from first time motherhood, to milestones to finding your village as a mom. I cried a lot through these episodes (let’s be honest, when was I not crying in those first few months of motherhood??). You can still access all the episodes, all 146 of ’em, I suggest you give it a listen for some inspiring talk about motherhood!
- Bitch Sesh: A Real Housewives Breakdown – Ok, if you have watched any of the Real Housewives franchises (or really any Bravo program for that matter), you NEED to have this podcast on regular rotation. If you’re my husband right now you are rolling your eyes. It is simply put, freaking hilarious. I literally laugh out loud every episode at the hosts of this show. It’s a deep dive into the world of Housewives, but also covers other Bravo shows like Southern Charm and Vanderpump Rules. The hosts are unapologetic about their theories and opinions on the characters and it’s hilarious. It has developed such a cult following that they travel to do live shows in front of sold out audiences. I gotta get to one of those shows soon too!
So there’s a round up of my top five podcasts at the moment. They are great shows to listen to on your own time, at the gym or just commuting. It sure beats putting Raffi on repeat in the car (sorry, kids). What are your favorite podcasts? Let me know so I can be sure to check them out!